Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Pinterest Challenge!

I recently started making a few things that I got inspiration from Pinterest and what do you know, but Young House Love issued a Summer Pinterest challenge today! I have been wanting to make a blog anyway to showcase the things I make for people to purchase, so this will make it a lot more fun to link it up with this Challenge!

So, first of all, here is the picture I found on Pinterest that inspired me to make something of my own:


The description for this tag said, "Such a cute idea to mark where you got married, met, honeymooned, etc."  And I agree.  Cute idea.  And super easy to make!  Especially since I already have some spare canvases and paint.  All I need is the outline of whatever state I'd want to use. 

So, since my lovely hubby and I got married in Louisville, KY, off I went to the great Internet to find me an outline to print off.  I finally found a good resource for all things stencils at Spray Paint Stencils - where you can find things from state outlines to cassette tape and George W. Bush outlines.  No joke. 

So I found Kentucky, printed it and cut it out and placed it on my canvas.  (Sorry, no in progress pictures for this one...it's already done!)  I picked my color and carefully painted out from outline onto the canvas...all the way around.  Then I painted the rest of the canvas and removed my outline so everything could dry (and not dry the outline onto the canvas making it hard to get off). 

Once it dried, I whipped out my red paint and painted a little heart where Louisville is.  And, just to fill out the empty space around the state, I added our anniversary date. 


Oh, and I posed it next to our wedding picture for a really professional looking photograph (haha). 

I really love how customizable it is and I look forward to making these for other people.  I think they'll look nice even without the wording...just the picture, like the Texas one.

So here's my first post ever!  I hope I can keep up with the lady bloggers and continue to make some awesome things over the summer.  Thanks for the challenge, ladies! :)

And for those who are interested in commissioning me to make one for you (aka Mom), my pricing while I'm starting out is $8 for a painting with just the state and heart and $10 for one with any writing on it. 

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! So cute! and perfect way to display your wedding date. Wonderful wedding picture!
    following you now
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete