Thursday, July 28, 2011

More hearts in Africa

Another lady asked me to make an Africa painting for her, but this time with a few more hearts on it for different countries.  She wanted hearts over Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya and Sudan.  She also wanted the background color to be a tan color.

So, the only thing I had to do differently was paint the entire canvas in the tan color first and let it dry before I put my stencil on. 



I'm trying to take some more 'in progress' pictures for you as I make new things.  I'm getting better!  This was has 2 as opposed to none! 

P.S. I had to laugh once I took this picture and saw that the random piece of magazine paper I put underneath it said 'Sorry, no returns' on it. 

So, once the base color dried, I just rolled up a few pieces of Scotch tape, put them on the back of the stencil and placed it on the canvas.


I made sure I waited even longer than usual just to make double sure that the base color was dry since I was securing my stencil with tape.  I didn't want the tape to pull off any color.

With the stencil on, I was ready to begin!  And here's where my 'in progress' pictures stop.  I just got into a groove and forgot to take any pictures.  Plus I didn't want to risk getting paint from my fingers on my phone.  :)

But through the magic of blogging, here's the finished product!



The tan color looks a little different because I put it under a different light and used the flash on my camera.  The picture with just the tan color on it was a bit warmer than in actuality as well.

I really hope my friend likes it.  I wasn't sure how it would look with multiple hearts on it, especially since those 4 countries are all in the same area of Africa.  But I think it turned out well. 

Hopefully I can post a few varied things in the next few days since the past 2 have been these Africa paintings.  :)  Give you guys something different to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment